Saturday, March 7, 2009

Memory Lane

I was thinking this morning about how I miss childhood and wish I could relive it whenever I wanted. I miss Saturday mornings. Mom would be out grocery shopping and sometimes come back with those big dinosaur cookies. They came in vanilla or chocolate. They don't make those anymore. We'd also rent regular nintendo games almost every weekend at 49 In More, (later called 2day Video and now Blockbuster.) Games like Dr. Mario, Paperboy, Little Mermaid, Flinstones, Burger Time, Jeopardy Jr, and Jurassic Park.

Of course on Saturdays we had to do the weekly chores, but when we weren't trying to save the princess on nintendo, we'd also watch our favorite shows on TV. We loved Darkwing Duck, the Snorks, Strawberry Shortcake, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Land of the Lost, and many others. We'd also make tents in the living room using the chairs from the dining room and blankets. Sometimes Dena would try to read books to me, but I never wanted to listen. Harry and the Hendersons was the last one I remember her wanting to read. I've never liked it when teachers read books aloud to the class. I have to read it myself to get anything out of it.

Watching Kenan and Kel brings back memories, too. Love that show. I love laugh out loud crazy humor. Anyone remember the newer version of Mickey Mouse Club called MMC? That show was great, too. They had a marathon of that show back in like 2000 or around there and I got lots of episodes recorded.
Yeah, I guess we watched a lot of TV when we were little, but there was so much good stuff to watch! Now the only thing is Spongebob. And I love that show, too. Nickelodeon's not as cool anymore. Kids nowadays don't know about slime and the big orange blimp or Hey Dude or Are You Afraid of the Dark.

Dad would also take us out on bikerides. Sometimes we'd go to the claypits where it was so beautiful and the water was so clear down there, or through a trail. I hated the trails. They took forever to go through and it wasn't very easy to pedal through.

In our backyard we liked to make "stew", an invention Dena created. We'd take a bucket, put in some water, and throw in pinecones, pineneedles, sticks, and rocks and called in stew. Yum. I wish we could still be so easily entertained. How did we lose that ability anyway?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sure brings back memories. I miss those days.

--Cara

Dena said...

Yes, those things were fun to do. You should check out my new backyard. It is so awesome and I think it could be just as fun as ours at home. Matt says he might build the kids a playhouse in the back by the creek! It's really nice to listen to the bubbling of the creek outside if you are next to it.

inthisplace said...

It's so true. I remember getting up at 6:00 AM every morning, just so I could run around outside until 10:00. Now I hate getting up at 8:30.

The Winns said...

Hey! Yeah, Scott is finishing up the commercial today, and for the contest it needs to be posted on youtube, so you should be able to find in on there soon... Man! You mentioned some great old TV shows! I loved "Are you Afraid of the Dark." I wish they still played cool shows like that!